Sunday 17 August 2014

Antwerp affinity

Brussels is grand, but in a contest I'd pick Antwerp in a heartbeat.


Antwerp feels full of life and interest and so very gezellig.



It's a design and fashion mecca (think Martin Margiela, Dries van Noten, Ann Demeulemeester ...)


There's art and culture, old and new 


The Rubenshuis above and below, where Rubens lived and painted for most of his life



Even the Hare Krishnas were there on a Saturday morning, bringing vivid reds to the Groenplaats.


Like every other Belgian city there's a crazily high density of (good) restaurants 
Belgians getting typically serious about their food over lunch at Bourla, in Graanmarkt

... and if it isn't a restaurateur it's a chocolatier: masters of the dark art Marcolini, Wittamer, Neuhaus lead the way in chocolate perfection and in vying with one another with sculpted creations.


Just ahead of the football world cup, the chocolatiers were indulging in soccer themes - my favourite a white chocolate rendition of Rio's Christ the redeemer ...



Works in progress at The Chocolate Line, Paleis op de Meir, Antwerp
July 2014

5 comments:

  1. Dearest Karen,
    thank you for sharing your travels with us, I had so much fun catching up with you!
    Hugs,
    Merisi

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like heaven to me. I've never been to Belgium and know I've missed much.
    Love your photographs, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I have now definitely added Antwerp to my travel wish list. Your photographs are as superb as ever, and your commentary adds to the fun, information and planting of another travel seed for me.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such blissful photos!
    May try to use them to encourage Robert to go there with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors. I heard there are terrific antiques there

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails